International Anton Rubinstein Competition for Viola 2017
The International Anton Rubinstein Competition for Viola 2017 supports and promotes talented, young musicians, music students, soloists, and prospective orchestral musicians by providing a platform for competition and with its prestigious awards.
The Competition is organized by the International Music Academy Anton Rubinstein in Düsseldorf and will take place in Palais Wittgenstein in Düsseldorf, Germany on 17 – 19 March 2017.
The following prizes will be awarded in the 2017 Competition:
- The loan of master bows from KNOPF family for the duration of one year.
- 500 € Blatow Foundation Award
- 500 € International Music Academy Anton Rubinstein Award
- 500 € Friends and Supporters of the Anton Rubinstein Academy Award
- Exclusive prizes provided by Thomastik Infeld Vienna
- 400 € Fontys Award
- Participation in Masterclasses of Anton Rubinstein International Music Academy
17 February 2017
The registration fee: 50€ until 17 January 2017 and 75 € thereafter.
The filled-in registration form including a video (Link to YouTube, or Cloud), CV and a photo please send by e-mail to:
The registration fee: 50€ until 17 January 2017 and 75 € thereafter please transfer to the following bank account:
Freunde und Förderer der Anton Rubinstein Akademie
IBAN: DE56 3022 0190 0364 0117 17
Venue: Palais Wittgenstein, Bilkerstr. 7-9, 40213 Düsseldorf/Germany
- The International Anton Rubinstein Competition 2017 is organized by the International Music Academy Anton Rubinstein in Düsseldorf and will take place in Palais Wittgenstein in Düsseldorf, Germany on 17 – 19 March 2017.
- Violist of all nationalities and ages may take part in this competition.
- The competition will take place in two rounds, from which the Jury will decide the winners.
- The first round will be completed via video link, YouTube or DVD. The results will be announced via email on 23 February 2017.
- The second round will take place in Palais Wittgenstein, Dusseldorf, Germany.
- The second round of competition is open to the public.
- A maximum of 20 candidates will be advanced to the Second Round. This decision will be made by the International Music Academy Anton Rubinstein, using the recordings from the first round.
- The International Music Academy Anton Rubinstein will determine the order in which the competitors perform.
- The repertoire for the first round can be freely chosen by the candidate, but must be maximal 30 minutes long.
- For the second round, the candidates must present a program of their own choosing which does not exceed a 30-minute time limit. The music should be performed by memory.
- In the second round, the jury has the right to interrupt any performance that exceeds the 30-minute time limit.
- The candidates are allowed to bring their own accompanists. However, if need be, and with prior arrangement, the International Music Academy Anton Rubinstein will also appoint a pianist for the competitors. The fee for the pianist is 75€, (to be paid with the registration fee), and includes a one-hour rehearsal and the competition performance.
- The final results will be announced on Saturday evening, 18 March 2017 at 8 pm.
- The workshop “Care of the Viola and Bow,” given by luthier Rodolfo Angilletta, is provided as a part of the competition. The Foundation and the Sponsors’ Association will only loan master bows to candidates who have completed this workshop.
- All participants must be present when the competition results are announced.
- The Awards Ceremony will take place during the Prizewinners’ Concert.
- The Prizewinners’ Concert will take place at Palais Wittgenstein in Düsseldorf on Sunday, 19 March 2017 at 4 pm.
- All winners are required to perform in the Prizewinners’ Concert in order to collect their prizes.
- With their registration, participants authorize the organizer, i.e. the International Music Academy Anton Rubinstein, to use all photo, video and audio material of the competition at its discretion.
- The decision of the jury is final and incontestable.
- With his or her registration, the candidate agrees to the rules and regulations of the competition.
- Registration Deadline: 17 February 2017.
- The registration fee: 50€ until 17 January 2017 and 75 € thereafter.
- The registration fee is nonrefundable.