Held in Moscow from January 25 to February 2, 2018.
24 year old Karolina Errera from Russia-Germany has been awarded 1st prize at the 2018 Yuri Bashmet International Viola Competition – in Moscow, Russia.
A graduate of the Moscow Central Music School and the Berlin University of Arts, and current post-graduate student of Professor Tabea Zimmermann at the ‘Hanns Eisler’ University of Music, Karolina is a former major prize winner at the Markneukirchen and Rakovsky International Viola Competitions.
Joint 2nd prize was awarded to Alexander Tatarinov from Russia and Pavel Romanenko from Kazakhstan.
No 3rd prize was awarded at this year’s competition.
Karolina will receive €15,000.
- Special prize (based on round II, section A) – Prize “for the best performance of a work by a Russian composer” was received by Alexander Tatarinov (Russia)
- Special prize (in the competition) for “The best ensemble” was received by Pavel Romanenko (Kazakhstan), Evgeny Rumiantsev (Russia), Andrey Skripki (Russia)
- Special Prize “Best Illustrator (Concertmaster)” was received by Ksenia Bashmet
- A special prize named after Oleg Kagan “For the best performance of Mozart Symphony concert” was received by Chamber orchestra «Moscow soloists»
“For high professionalism” from Yuri Bashmet (President and founder of the competiton) was received by Natalia Nikitenko, Elena Nikitenko, Denis Vlasenko
Special prize “For the best performance of the compulsory work on the First round of the competition” was received by Karolina Errera (Russia-Germany)
Special prize from the “Bashmet Center” – «Carte Blance concerto» was received by Alexander Tatarinov (Russia)
Congratulations! For more detailed information please follow the link: http://www.bashmetcompetition.com/
The 2018 jury comprised: Yuri Bashmet, Roman Balashov, Alexander Bonduryansky, Evgeny Barankin, Atsuhiko Gondai, Rollo Covac, Garth Knox, Lawrence Power, Maxim Rysanov, Raimund Trenkler, Alexander Tchaikovsky and Wilfried Strele.
The 2018 competition was held with the purpose of developing viola playing traditions, supporting and encouraging youth talented viola players from different countries, promotion their professional career through the world, viola repertoire extension, disclosure of rich possibilities of viola solo and ensemble instrument.
Taking into account Maestro Yuri Bashmet’s Jubilee in 2018, the Yuri Bashmet VIII International Viola Competition in Moscow was held in a very exceptional way to unite a number of competitions, forming “Viola Masters”, building an arts space where winners and laureates of worldwide viola competitions could join together.
For more detailed information please follow the link: http://www.bashmetcompetition.
The Viola Masters’ partnering Competitions were:
- Yuri Bashmet VIII International Viola Competition;
- Vancouver International Music Competition (Canada),
- Lionel Tertis International Viola Competition (Isle of Man),
- Markneukirchen International Instrumental Competition (Germany),
- Association of Culture «Melos» (Italy)
- International Competition «KAUNAS SONORUM» (Lithuania),
- International Music Competition «Don Vincenzo Vitti» (Italy)
- International Music Competition «Euterpe» (Italy)
The founders of the Competition are: Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation, Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory, Moscow Academic Philharmonic Society.
The organizer of the Competition is Russian Concert Agency.